Our experiences with ramen in Canada began in elementary school with good ol' Mr. Noodle, who pretty much runs the show for Canadian ramen. From there, we developed a deep love for those salty, spicy, delicious, and easy to make noodles, and craved something more. Surely there had to be more to the world of Ramen than plain ole' Mr. Noodle...
We found later on in life that if we wanted to try something imported (in this case, Ramen) we'd hit K-town (Korea Town: Christie Pitts/North York) or J-town (Japan Town: Markham). We thought that this would be an accurate representation of the Ramen scene in Korea. When we arrived in Korea, though, we were floored. We're serious when we say that there is an entire gigantic aisle dedicated to all types of ramen in the grocery store, enough ramen to fill our apartment. Oh the joy! Image us spinning in a meadow holding a ramen bowl happily. Yeah.
Anyhow, since we've always wanted to make a cheesy infomercial like video, we decided to do it with ramen as the star. We picked out 8 random noodle bowls that we had never tried, and called up our friends to do a taste test. The candidates:
-Jajang Bokki
-Ramen Bokki
-95 Cal
-Salee Gomtang
-"Well-Being" Ramen (aka Sudden Attack)
-Spaghetti Ramen
-Cheese Ramen
-Udung (which is different than ramen, but still hot water added to dry noodles)
What we had in the end is what we hope to be the Foreigners' Mini-Guide to Korean Ramen. Seven foreigners tasted, rated, and ranked the ramen, so that, hopefully, other foreigners here in Korea will have an idea of what's good and what's bad in their ramen aisle. Sure, our tastes are different than a Korean's tastes, which is why we made this video, SO PLEASE DON'T CONSIDER US INSULTING AND INFIDELS FOR NOT LIKING THE SAME RAMEN AS YOU. With that in mind, click on the picture above for our Foreigners' Guide to Korean Ramen, or click on the sidebar for different formats.
Feb 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Omg yall are the biggest dorks! I love it! :-) I'm glad I know your true awesomeness though. Oh, and thanks for making me hungry for ramen...
I loved it too! Hilarious. I like that you're introducing new characters to the show. But this must have been one from the archives because Martina's hair is long.
Cracked me up. Funny and informative. I totally would've guessed the Cheese Ramen would be horrible. And I would have guessed the Jjajang would be yummy.
I am now re-thinking my whole Ramen Outlook.
Cheers!
Simon your voice over work is really starting to sound professional! I am impressed!! :)
My personal rankings:
1. 라면볶이 (Ramyeon Bokki): Tastes great and stabbing water draining holes in the lid helps release any pent up frustration from a long day of teaching.
2. 신라면 (Shin Ramyeon): Especially great when eaten with a side of kimchi and a soju hangover.
3. Everything else: All the rest have their moments but are either too boring to get excited about or just taste a little off (I'm looking at you 짜장볶이).
I've never actually tried the cheese one though, so I guess I have something to look forward to when I get back to Korea for year number 2 ;).
What? No Shin Ramyeon?
Still, good video.
I like the octopus Jjam Bbong. It sounds disgusting, but if you Chinese restaurant Jjam Bbong, you realize that the ramyeon version tastes a lot like it. Also when the vegitables become reanimated in this ramyeon they are surprisingly vegitable like. This is the ramyeon that is in a purple container and has a picture of a cuttlefish on it.
after watching your video over the weekend it literally made me go to the korean market in l.a. and buy udong and japagaeti (similar to jajangmyun. but i haven't tried jajang bokki).
i plan on buying a few more udong and japagaeti over the weekend because i only bought one each! ><
you guys are pretty interesting. by the way, my uncle/aunt lives in bucheon! stayed over there for the summer 5 years ago. heh. i want to go again!
jjajang flavored ramen tastes 100x better when you cook on your stove. try the version that does not come in a cup, but in a simple packet. it requires extra work of cooking, but it's totally better!
Post a Comment