Sep 21, 2009
Teaching in Korean Middle School: Guess Who
Next week we're going to be giving another presentation for the Gepik Orientation, so here's a video in the spirit of helping teachers. Here's another video of a lesson we do in a Korean Middle School Class. Like the last Battleship lesson, this is a class where the teacher does minimal talking and the students practice their English instead. It was a really fun class, so we'd highly recommend you try it out in your schools. As well, it's highly customizable, so you can make the questions fit whatever level your students are at. All of the materials in this lesson, including Powerpoints and Handouts, are available to download in Mac or PC format. While you're at it, you can check the rest of our ESL Resources here for other ideas. So, click on the picture above to see the video of Teaching in a Korean Middle School Class, or click on the sidebar for different formats. Oh, and - yes - I know I look a little bedraggled in the video: this was the last class in a grueling 6 class day. I'm surprised I still had enough energy to stand on two feet.
Labels:
ESL Resources
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
As always very impressive. I want to take your class! Oh yeah and LOVE the Beatlejuice-esque sweater!!
You can tell your students how lucky they are to have a Canadian English teacher. Canadian English is the clearest English in the world.
That's great!
I have to ask, though: What happens if you have an uneven number of students?
If the number is uneven, then you have the students play in threes, everyone asking the person to their left.
I looked at many of your lessons they are very impressive for having only been here since the middle of 2008. Nice layout on the site too!!!
i remember 5years ago, when i was in middle school.
i was a really noisy.
especially when austrailian teacher comes in. because i was not able to understand what he says,
but, i didn't be noisy when american teacher who's able to speak in korean well, the reason was not because i could understand what he said, but because she anounced me to be scilent in korean. that was really effectful,i remember.
Great presentation, Simon.
It worked pretty well with my normally quiet middle school class.
One note, however. Many of my students were quick to come to me and identify "Park Gyuri" as 니콜. I can't vouch for their accuracy as I have no idea. It goes to show how much of a teenager's brain is dedicated to pop star knowledge!
Oh god! Did I not change that? I was sure that I fixed it. Yes, my students were quick to point out the mistake as well.
I just wanted to let you know how much I love your lessons! They are amazing, thank you so much for sharing!
what kind of program did you use to make that presentation? it's incredible!
Thanks for the compliment, J! We use Keynote, which is a program for the Mac. We tried Powerpoint for a bit but we find that it's lacking some cool stuff to it, so we gave up on it.
You can make your own vanilla extract.
Buy vanilla beans on ebay and then buy vodka. Soak one bean in a small bottle of vodka and after 2-3 months you have Vanilla extract. Takes a while, but it's not bad
Dani,
Thanks for the tip. Question, though: should I be making vanilla extract in class?
Hi I'm going to use this for a camp lesson. Thank you it's brilliant. Sunnie
Wow. Is the class you have in your example typical this perfectly behaved? Also, what grade? My middle school girls do not have anywhere near the comprehension level that your students appear to have.
I played my own version of guess who in class about 2 weeks ago. Students really liked it, but I had them play in teams because many of the students had trouble making the questions.
This is the average example. Some classes are better, other classes are far worse. And I'd like to think (LIKE to think) that my students don't have great comprehension either, but that I just teach it so well that they understand it.
Ahhh, I like to flatter myself sometimes...
Post a Comment