We have received a lot of questions about teaching in public schools. If we don't speak Korean, how do we communicate with our students? What do we teach them? What do the classes look like?
We decided to start taping some of our classes to show everyone what they're like. This video here is of Simon's Middle School classes. Here you'll see the students come into class, sit down, Simon instruct for a bit, and then the students play the game. Finally, a lot of your questions will have been answered!
Simon's situation is a bit unique, though, so don't assume that all classes are this way. For starters, Simon teaches half of his class one week, and the other half the other week, meaning, out of a class of 40, he teaches 20 while his co-teacher deals with the other 20 in another class. As well, some schools expect their teachers to be teaching for the entire class. Simon's school - thankfully - believes that students should be given as much opportunity to speak in class. Less lecturing, more participation. And so, Simon usually explains the rules for some English speaking activity for the first few minutes of class and gives the remaining time for the students to partake in that activity. There's more facilitation than dictation.
So, without further ado, here is one day in Simon's classes. Click on the picture above to see the video, or click here to see a Korean Middle School Class. If you like the lesson, and want to teach it yourself, head over to the ESL Resources page to download the handouts and the presentations.
Apr 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
S0mething is wrong...we click on your video and all we get is audio...no video :(
I'm jealous of your classroom, Simon. Seriously, all I have is a whiteboard. The kids are pretty much the same, though. I don't feel as bad now when some sleep in my class! Thanks!
Thanks for posting this! Sidenote-love the site there are so many interesting things on here about different aspects of living/working in S.Korea, all in one place, which is really nice and helpful.
Great video! Great game! I like the updated website! Congrats on your new Gepik Representative positions!
Simon, what presentation software were you using?
WOW!!! I thought you were magical with that screen. I'm so impressed. You'll have to bring all these cool presentation skills back to Canadian classrooms.
Hey Simon/Martina,
I don't know what you changed, but suddenly when I click on the picture to view the video, it's in full screen! Very nice! It's much better. Only one problem though, it seems to cut off the bottom bit :(
See below...
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1599/picture295.png
I've been reading your site/watching your videos for a little while but haven't commented before. But, I thought I would this time.
Love what you do!
Take care,
Danny - Manchester, UK
Danny,
First off - glad to see you're using a Mac! Secondly, the full screen issue is one that we're working on. My guess is that your Tabs bar is taking up the room that would otherwise be given to the video. It's not your fault, because I used tabbed browsing in Firefox as well, and I'd hate to have to give it up, so I'm not asking you to give it up yourself.
Anyhow, I'm working on a solution which might take me a few days. Arrrgggghh! Coding is so frustrating!
Simon
Oh, and blueguyblue, I use Keynote 09.
Yessir.
I'm amazed at the classroom technology (eg. "touch-screen")that's offered at the school you teach at!
Although I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Battleship, I have to admit that I was pretty glued to the screen when I watched your students play the game! (love the Korean popular culture references by the way, and "English!" comments haha)
Anyway, thanks for sharing! =)
Marie, Vancouver
love the doodles, martina! the new site looks great!
Is your presentation from the GEPIK workshop a few weeks ago up yet? I'd love to see the video and powerpoint presentation as well. Awesome job.
Really? We taped the whole thing, and thought about putting it up, but it's over an hour long! Wouldn't that bore everyone to tears?
Our parents are asking for the videos, but that's probably because they love us. Probably. I didn't think anyone else would want to see it...
I'll see what we can do to put the video up, then.
Or just posting the powerpoint would be cool. By far the most useful presentation.
Also what was that Korean song where the English lyrics made absolutely no sense at all? lol
It turns out that we're giving another orientation lecture in June. We'll tweak it up and then, once our delivery is polished, we'll post it all up then (because we did a bunch of mistakes the first time round)
Wow, I remember my middle school classroom. A drab rectangle with a blackboard running the entire front wall with rows of wooden desks lined up in military precision, packing in 60 kids. Oh, and all boys. How things have changed...
Post a Comment