If you're new to Korea, then this video's for you. We didn't know that we could pay our bills (internet, cell-phone, and gas) at the machines for a very long time. For the first few months or so, we've been waiting in long lines at the bank, which always seem to be much longer than they naturally should be. And so, to save you the time you would waste in line to pay these bills, we bring you a new video, explaining how you should pay your bills.
A couple of words first: we cannot pay our apartment fees (re: electricity) through these machines; the only bills this machine will accept are the uniformly sized bills that say "OCR" on them. We think the OCR stands for "Optical Character Recognition," since the machine scans your bills and pops up its info on the screen. Oh, and one more thing: supposedly you can pay your bills online, or do your banking online through KB Bank, but I heard that you have to have a Windows computer to do so. We're Mac users, and - as such - have been ostracized from the Korean internets (they don't like Macintosh around here)
Anyhow, without further ado, here is our How-To Pay Your Bills in Korea video, also available in the sidebar, as always.
Mar 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Shinhan Bank offers their Internet Banking software to Mac users so if you find that a hassle, you can always switch banks ;)
lol I'm moved from Bunchon to Torento to learn english & culture. It's totally understandable to me, you guys didn't like some of korean foods there. When I first came here, oh gosh... Foods here were gross & distinct than according to my despondently tempered korean preference. Milk here was too thick to me, orange juice was excessively concerntrated, grainy, and sour.(compare to korean beverages) Punches were burning & itch to my throat. Korean's drinks are usually diluted in water, I guess to save some manufacture costs. all of convience snacks were awfully salty to my miserable taste bud ( particularly doritos kind... tasted also like mummified kimchi). Anyway, I've been here long enough & have been experienced many differnt varity of foods. My taste bud has beenn crooked according to Canadian preference... I've also learned to enjoy true taste of milk&juice... Frankly, I love them better than amoxicillin tasting banana milk although I sometimes miss them whenever I suffer from a severe cold. Don't worry...you guys will be fine after a year or so... By the way I have more mainly French speaking buddies than English... Why the hell am I studying/speaking French instead of English here?????? Don't ask me... I have no freakin idea.
P.s. please don't mind some of unkind & ignorant Koreans who leave negative comments on your site. you know... unfortunately impolite people exists everywhere you go around the world.
I joined with Nong Hyup upon reaching Jeju, but found as well that the only online banking they offer is for windows users.
Its probably the most popular bank on the island, so to do the switch to something else would make it harder to take out cash when needed most.
On another note of interest, do you know how to go about transferring money internationally, to a North American bank account?
To transfer money to a North American account you need the following:
1. Account holder name (obvious)
2. Account number (i.e. the checking account number)
3. Bank's ABA or Routing Number (easily found in the checkbook)
4. Address of the bank - usually the main office address will do but it would be good to have the actual branch's address.
You know what Canada has, though? Mac-compatible websites! That said, I prefer my method wherein I hand the bills over to my boss.
Cool video! Despite internet banking being rubbish ATMs are pretty awesome here in Korea.
You can pay your apartment and other non-OCR bills, you just have to enter the account number manually or do a inter-bank transfer on a regular ATM.
Goodtimes!
Hey I was at the orientation for gepik. I thought ur presentation was really good. The maintenance bill that you get you can pay at the machine. If you ask the security guard at the bank he does it for you. Instead of slipping the page in the machine there are numbers on the maintenance bill that you punch in and thats it. he does it for you once and your information is in the machine.
Do only some banks have these machines? I have KB as well, but the branches I've been to seem to only have the regular ATMs with English.
Post a Comment